Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Happiness...& American Idol

Okay, I admit it. I'm an Idol-worshiper. KIDDING--watcher. ;) Granted, this season isn't as Adam-Lambert-thrilling as last year. Even so, I find myself lured to the tube Tuesday and Wednesday nights, eager to discover whether Lee has grown another echelon in confidence or if Crystal has let her dreds down. Happy to say they've been my favorites from the beginning. What I love most about Lee and Crystal is their evident joy and passion for singing. They've both been known to shed tears and I swear Lee has a perma-grin hiding under his subtly smiling lips.



Last night I read, "Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth," by Ed Diener and Robert Biswas-Diener. (Sounds hype-y, but it's not.) It's chock-full of extensive research findings pertaining to happiness. In a section about job-related happiness, the authors speak of working "in the zone." They compare happy workers to runners who lose themselves in blissful hyper-focus. (Hmm...never quite had that while running...)People who love their jobs/work/careers lose track of the time, wish they had endless hours to partake in it, and not due to harsh deadlines, mean bosses or financial gain.

I think most Idol fans are drawn to the bliss the up-and-comers find and reveal on stage. I've certainly felt similar passion while singing or performing a particular song...but I don't wish do any of it all day. My writing, however...alternate stories (ha, pun) altogether.

I'm wishing "the idols" the best tonight and a fond farewell to Simon (who gave a great interview on Oprah, by the way...). I plan to step out of my writing zone to watch the finale tonight. May we all find our zones and frolic happily about in them, without time clocks, calendars or ceilings to hold us back.

No comments:

Post a Comment